Caridina japonica - breeding Vol.2

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. TAKASHI AMANO

8/18/2006

13th of August eggs !!!

3 of my Amanos are carrying eggs again. Why again you might ask? For a month or so my Amanos have been releasing their eggs after just 7-10 days. I thought that fertilising PMDD might have caused that problem. I used to fertilise every week. Will do it from now on every month. I disconnected the DIY CO2 Yeast reactors.
I hope my Amanos will feel better now :-)
I will do photos of the new breeding equipment that I bought the other day.
This time I am following the Mike Noren and the French article, so no mistakes any more.
Fingers crossed, and knock the wood 3 times for good luck :-)

To mention; I added some filter floss/cotton to my established filter (180liter) to seed nitrifying bacteria on it. I will wrap that peace around the air stones in both tanks, 2 liter hatching and the 15 liter raising tank. I hope that this bacteria will help keeping ammonia/nitrites low. I will add some activated carbon to the hatchery but not into the raising tank because it might reduce the tracing elements from the sea salt, that larvae need for normal growth. My plan is to put egg carrying Amanos into the 2 liters hatchery two weeks before the hatching, just to be sure.

Kind regards, Dusko.