Caridina japonica - breeding Vol.2

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. TAKASHI AMANO

9/07/2006

7th day in marine water

Most larvae are alive and doing fine. Some of them still get caught in the surface.
I feed very little every second day, but rather stir the bottom with a spoon to lift all the settled phytoplankton food up, 3 times a day. I observed a few larvae holding on to a green piece of phytoplankton. It is impossible to make photos in this greenish water. I hope I will be able to make some good shots when the larvae transforms into the mysid stage.

Since the other two females didn't release their eggs (hatched) and started refusing food, I decided to return them back to the 180 liter main tank. I took them out of the main tank too soon. Two weeks sooner. many say that if the eggs have two eye like dots, the eggs are very close to hatching (in a few days). I don't think this is true, because my females eggs had those dots after carrying them for just two weeks. Scroll down the page to see the photo.